How long has GEM Motoring Assist been in existence?

Originally founded in 1932, the organisation has been arranging breakdown cover since 1978.

Do you cover the member or the vehicle?

We cover you as the member if you are personally driving any eligible vehicle or are travelling as a passenger in an eligible vehicle owned by you.

What are eligible Vehicles?

Eligible Vehicle means private cars, vans with a GVW up to 2500 kgs and motorcycles. Motor caravans and motor homes will only be covered if they have a GVW up to 3500kg, do not exceed 7 metres (23 feet) in length and 2.3 metres in width (including any extra fitments). HGVs (Heavy Goods Vehicles, LCVs (Light Commercial Vehicles) and minibuses are not acceptable. 

Where will i find the GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) of my van?

Click here for more information>

Will my caravan or trailer be covered?

Any caravan (up to 7 metres/23 feet long, not including the length of the a-frame or hitch) or trailer (up to 3.05 metres/10 feet long including any load, not including the length of the a-frame or hitch) attached to the broken down vehicle will be recovered with the vehicle. In the event of a breakdown to the caravan or trailer being towed by the vehicle, we will recover it to the nearest suitable garage or your preferred destination if closer. Any caravan or trailer must be attached using a standard 50 millimetre (2 inch) towing coupling.

Is there an age limit on vehicles covered under the scheme?


What is the difference between Recovery EXTRA and Recovery RECLAIM?

Designed to provide comprehensive cover at the lowest possible cost, our pay-and-reclaim option offers the same cover as Recovery EXTRA, but the member pays the attending garage when assistance or recovery has been completed. The member then reclaims this cost and any travel or accommodation charges as appropriate, from GEM Motoring Assist. With Recovery RECLAIM members may make their own arrangements for assistance and recovery and reclaim the appropriate costs by completing a claim form and submitting relevant receipts.

When is the earliest I can be covered?

The earliest we can cover you from is midnight of the day after purchase or from a date you specify up to 2 months in advance.

Do I need to notify you if I change my vehicle?

No, you will still be covered providing you are driving any eligible vehicle or are travelling as a passenger in an eligible vehicle owned by you.

How quickly will I get assistance?

Our 24 hour Rescue Control Centre will quickly arrange assistance from one of a nationwide network of independent recovery operators equating to over 5,000 recovery vehicles. The average response time is 41 minutes.

What other benefits are available to me as a GEM Motoring Assist member?

Benefits include a lively quarterly magazine, Good Motoring, free road safety literature and advice, and discounts on many insurances and services. For details, click here.

Is there a Breakdown Recovery Operator near me?

We have a nationwide network of independent recovery operators spread throughout the UK. This means that over 5,000 vehicles are available to ensure fast, efficient service wherever you are.

Do I have to have Club membership?

Breakdown cover is only available to Club members. Club membership is included in the annual subscription to any of our breakdown services. Club membership is also open to motorists not requiring breakdown, providing all other benefits. However, GEM Motoring Assist reserve the right to refuse membership to applicants with driving disqualifications within the past five years.